Friday, June 26, 2009

My Return to Otter Bar


After a long hitaus, I finally returned to Otter Bar Lodge in Northern California to instruct kayaking with some awesome Kiwis mates for 3 straight weeks. What a fantastic place. I didn't know the Kiwis at all but quickly grew to respect and enjoy working with them. If your looking for a place to relax and enjoy learning how to paddle, this is THE place to do it. Second to none facilities, food and instruction, Otter Bar has set the bench mark for kayak instruction.

All three weeks were excellent. Great clients and river flows ensured optimal instruction. The first week found us paddling around the South Fork of the Cal Salmon. The flows were prime and we ran the river from high up on the Mathews Creek section all the way down to camp. What a great group!!!! The theme for this week was "Any line, any time". The brothers Grim kept us in stitches with their jokes and the week flew by.




The next week I found myself with the crew who have been coming to OB for more than a decade. What a great group. Again the South Fork offered excellent opportunity for instruction. And the river color...crystal and green. You can see down so far!!!! What a hearty group of paddlers!!!


As I rounded the corner for my final week on the Cal Salmon, I gotta say I felt a little meloncholy. I love it here and I feel very fortunate to work with all of the staff. The last week was every bit as awesome as the others.


Sign up with Otter Bar, you'll never regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment